Tuesday, February 24, 2009

My new office...

Well... I never had an office. It was always a cube with gray fuzzy, pinboard walls that I shared with someone else...

This is where I've been working for the last 2 days for Grape Vision–one of the oldest Central Otago vineyard management and development company. It's way more than I'd ever wanna be responsible for myself, and I would care for some more time during my shift to be the only one in my row so I don't hav'ta hear the chatter. But if I hav'ta hear the chatter, it couldn't be more interesting. I'll try to get a picture of my rowmates, Greg and Keith. Greg has held numerous jobs but his 'profession' I would say would be gold prospector. Yes, an honest to goodness gold prospector. And Keith is 'semi-retired.' He was a professional rugby coach and hospitality type with his wife.




We found these perfect mushrooms in the vineyard and I've been informed that there'll be a ton more after the rain we've had. I had some tonight, but I should've heeded the entire bit of advice from all my Kiwi friends and had them with bacon and tomatoes. Maybe tomorrow.

Peace fam. Stay frosty

3 comments:

Dick said...

Your pictures and stories excite me!! Just envy I guess.
Dick

Brianne Day said...

How did the 'shrooms turn out?

Caucasian Afro said...

So so. I ate them with lamb kidneys, bacon, onions, cherry tomatoes and garlic. Cooked it all up in the bacon grease and butter.

I'd never eaten any kidneys before and was surprised to find they tasted like...lamb. Cleaning them is a bit tedious. For the record, I'd eat kidneys again, but I don't imagine I'd ever have a craving for 'em.

Overall, the mushrooms were lackluster. Less flavor than regular ole button 'shrooms. I turned down the offer to take some home today.