It must've been Friday the 13th. The day was going way too well. I didn't see a black cat. I don't remember walking under any ladders. What else can explain it? I mean... I dunno at this point. Freaky Friday the 13th is the only explanation I have. Here's what happened.
I bought a car last Friday. A 1995 Subaru Legacy 250T w/AWD. Boxer engine (I think). Automatic. ~155,000 km. 2 sunroofs, one working. Thule rack. Saggy rear shocks. Mismatched tires but with good tread. Fancy Kenwood stereo. A star in the windshield. Registration through the end of the month and WoF til April. A pretty good deal all in all for what I paid for it. I'll post a picture later as I haven't downloaded them off my camera yet and I'm in a cybercafe on limited time.
I bought it from the Christchurch Car Market (travelers basically buy and sell from one another and the market does the paperwork) which is a really great place to pick up a car if you ever wanna buy one in Christchurch. After coming back from the mechanical inspection I parked the car in the lot and left the key in the ignition. It's where Matthew (the owner) and I both agreed to leave it as Matthew was out in the lot when I pulled in. Went inside to make the purchase and finish the paperwork.
Being that it was Friday the 13th; Matthew was having problems physically turning over the paperwork to me b/c of printer problems. Fine.
So I went off to check my email and get my haircut among other things. Gmail provided 2 promising emails about work. Score! I paid too much for the haircut I got, but the guy didn't eff it up and it's what I wanted so, score!
I went back to the Car Market around 6pm.
Then I went to drive off.
We spent the next 2h turning his shop upside down; replaying the events of the afternoon; calling people that had been there that day; trying all the keys; everything.
We both left at 9pm after putting the car in the garage. Matthew's thinking was someone had taken the key to come back that night to either steal the car or take the stereo.
During the 2h I was there, I was mostly chillin'. Yeah, it was going to be inconvenient but it wasn't the end of the world. Locksmiths are locksmiths for a reason. Something in the universe decided I wasn't taking my car that night. It's not like Naomi Watts (well not Naomi cuz I don't think she's that attractive, but I can't think of other famous NZ women right now) had asked me out and said to pick her up at 8pm that night. I could wait. I ate dinner then walked back to the hostel and went to bed.
The next morning I went down there with the mindset that I'd be there for better part of the day while we got a locksmith to do his/her thing. I'd already contacted my peeps in Cromwell to let them know I'd either be late or come on Sunday.
As I was walking up to the lot, my Subaru was on the street. I was getting excited. It could only mean 1 of 2 things. The key turned up, or they decided to move the car to the street (it's not a small feat to move a Subaru Legacy with out driving it but it can be done. I've seen it). I went into the shop and Matthew says
Now I'm not really a superstitious person. I mean, I'd do silly stuff while playing basketball but it's not like I took it real serious or anything. But seriously? I don't have another explanation. I got my car–without the ownership paperwork in hand and left.
From there I went over to the botanical garden. Oh. My. God.
Ok. I'll admit it. I'm a heterosexual male with a huge thing for botanical gardens. I think this is only an 'issue' in the US. San Francisco has an amazing one. The DC one is spectacular. But Christchurch...wow! It must be from all the English that have come over. I'm imaging a few British gardeners saw New Zealand way back when and then told all their gardener friends. It just grew from there.
A whole greenhouse full of blooming gladiolas. A rose garden that could rival Portland's. A bonsai shed.
All of a sudden I was kicking myself for not going over there sooner. I should've been spending the afternoons there instead doing whatever other stuff I was doing. And it's not like I can just go again before I leave in June. It'll be winter and who knows what will be growing if anything. Oh well. Next time. I'll post pictures of what I do have.
I'm heading back to Cromwell now. It's almost dark. I had good day today too but don't have time to write about it now.
Peace fam. Stay frosty
I bought a car last Friday. A 1995 Subaru Legacy 250T w/AWD. Boxer engine (I think). Automatic. ~155,000 km. 2 sunroofs, one working. Thule rack. Saggy rear shocks. Mismatched tires but with good tread. Fancy Kenwood stereo. A star in the windshield. Registration through the end of the month and WoF til April. A pretty good deal all in all for what I paid for it. I'll post a picture later as I haven't downloaded them off my camera yet and I'm in a cybercafe on limited time.
I bought it from the Christchurch Car Market (travelers basically buy and sell from one another and the market does the paperwork) which is a really great place to pick up a car if you ever wanna buy one in Christchurch. After coming back from the mechanical inspection I parked the car in the lot and left the key in the ignition. It's where Matthew (the owner) and I both agreed to leave it as Matthew was out in the lot when I pulled in. Went inside to make the purchase and finish the paperwork.
Being that it was Friday the 13th; Matthew was having problems physically turning over the paperwork to me b/c of printer problems. Fine.
- 'No problem. Sure. Email 'em to me. The transfer of ownership (or whatever it was) won't print right now? Come back later and we'll see if we can get it sorted? Fine. I've got errands to run. I'll be back before you leave tonight to pick it up.'
So I went off to check my email and get my haircut among other things. Gmail provided 2 promising emails about work. Score! I paid too much for the haircut I got, but the guy didn't eff it up and it's what I wanted so, score!
I went back to the Car Market around 6pm.
- Yeah, I'll have a beer. Mind if I run down to Dick Smith's to get an mp3 adapter? Be back in a minute.
- Ok. I'm gonna take the car now. What's that? Come back in the morning for the ownership paperwork before I leave for Central Otago? Sure. No worries.
Then I went to drive off.
- Say. Have you got the key? No? It's not in there. Yup. I'm sure
We spent the next 2h turning his shop upside down; replaying the events of the afternoon; calling people that had been there that day; trying all the keys; everything.
We both left at 9pm after putting the car in the garage. Matthew's thinking was someone had taken the key to come back that night to either steal the car or take the stereo.
During the 2h I was there, I was mostly chillin'. Yeah, it was going to be inconvenient but it wasn't the end of the world. Locksmiths are locksmiths for a reason. Something in the universe decided I wasn't taking my car that night. It's not like Naomi Watts (well not Naomi cuz I don't think she's that attractive, but I can't think of other famous NZ women right now) had asked me out and said to pick her up at 8pm that night. I could wait. I ate dinner then walked back to the hostel and went to bed.
The next morning I went down there with the mindset that I'd be there for better part of the day while we got a locksmith to do his/her thing. I'd already contacted my peeps in Cromwell to let them know I'd either be late or come on Sunday.
As I was walking up to the lot, my Subaru was on the street. I was getting excited. It could only mean 1 of 2 things. The key turned up, or they decided to move the car to the street (it's not a small feat to move a Subaru Legacy with out driving it but it can be done. I've seen it). I went into the shop and Matthew says
- It's the strangest thing in the world. We came back last night from being out and the key was right there on the ground in front of the door. We were standing there scratching our heads trying to figure it out. Thinking maybe you'd come back and left it there after finding it.
- Just right there?!?!
It's because it was Friday the 13th. That's the only way to explain it.
Now I'm not really a superstitious person. I mean, I'd do silly stuff while playing basketball but it's not like I took it real serious or anything. But seriously? I don't have another explanation. I got my car–without the ownership paperwork in hand and left.
From there I went over to the botanical garden. Oh. My. God.
Ok. I'll admit it. I'm a heterosexual male with a huge thing for botanical gardens. I think this is only an 'issue' in the US. San Francisco has an amazing one. The DC one is spectacular. But Christchurch...wow! It must be from all the English that have come over. I'm imaging a few British gardeners saw New Zealand way back when and then told all their gardener friends. It just grew from there.
A whole greenhouse full of blooming gladiolas. A rose garden that could rival Portland's. A bonsai shed.
All of a sudden I was kicking myself for not going over there sooner. I should've been spending the afternoons there instead doing whatever other stuff I was doing. And it's not like I can just go again before I leave in June. It'll be winter and who knows what will be growing if anything. Oh well. Next time. I'll post pictures of what I do have.
I'm heading back to Cromwell now. It's almost dark. I had good day today too but don't have time to write about it now.
Peace fam. Stay frosty
1 comment:
have you looked into cheese making? you could set up camp in england...I saw a special on how it's made. imagine that smell budd-o. I immediately thought of feet, though sour milk is more like pit sweat. Either way, science is used in all aspects of the culturing.
Post a Comment