Sunday, March 8, 2009

Responding to my readers

First, thank you all for reading. Second, thank you for writing comments. Please continue to do both as I continue writing about what I'm seeing, doing, feeling, experiencing, etc. It's much appreciated.

I wanted to take the opportunity to respond to some of your comments here as opposed to in the comments section where they may get lost after the fact.

Kim,
I have thought of cheese making. There is a seminar of sorts with Katherine Mowbray (a Kiwi who has a national following and probably an international following) that I was going to try to go to. Unfortunately, it's in Dunedin and a bit outta my price range at the moment. Another time.
I don't know if I could stay here or not. It's one thing to be in awe of a place when you're on holiday, albeit working holiday, and another to actually live there. Besides, then we'd never see each other.
Catherine and Chad have offered me use of their tent if I ever wanna. However, I have trouble fitting in tents (ask Dave and Sue) so dunno.... Lord Baltimore has been accommodating for my needs thus far.
That's great about the project!! I'd encourage you to set up a blog so we can all follow along too. It's pretty easy to do. I can help you if you want.

E,
Nope, didn't make it to the fudge shop, but I will most definitely before I fly out in June. I'm going to have a little bit of time to wander, how much though I'm not sure. If you have a top 5 places for either/both islands that would be helpful.

Jeff,
I don't think it's a yucca. Remember we had a yucca in the backyard at Catoctin Ave? It wasn't nearly that big and had flowers. Did you know you can eat yucca? I didn't until living it San Francisco. It's great. Consistency is close to potatoes and other starches but the flavor is sweeter. If you ever have a chance to try them, do it.

Pops,
I'm glad you're following along. The Phillie's hat is a fashion accessory, nothing more. Excited about The Rays for this season?

Amy,
Thanks for the post. That'd be really cool if it is a century plant. I still really like thinking it's a big asparagus. Man, what one's pee would smell like after eating a stalk that big. Whoa!
Congratulations on your Carmen role and where it's taking you!! Kim told me about your upcoming adventures. They sound fantastic! When you're ready, please do contact me about any travel/adventure questions you might have. I'm no expert, but I'll do what I can to help. I can put you in touch with some other women travelers who've traveled alone (at least two of which read and comment to this blog) that might be able to offer additional advice I can't–having a Y chromosome kinda prevents my ability to do so. You're gonna find that the world is much smaller and hospitable than you'd ever imagined. For instance, I ran into a guy in Queenstown last night that I shared a cab with in Nicaragua last year. Bizarre. I must warn you though, once you start, it'll be hard to stop.

I'm having a lazy day after being out late enough to see the sun rise–Angela Fisken put on a really good set at debajo in Queenstown which was part of the reason I was out so late. I wasn't thinking about pictures on the way home or I might've taken some of sun-up. There'll be other opportunities I think since I'll be driving in and out of the Kawarau Gorge at early and late hours of the day when work starts at Gibbston Valley Wines. I'm off to pick up some of the last cherries of the season for some pork chops.

Much love

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Randy
I think Tampa Bay Dad is Chuck, not Pops.
I look forward to your postings every day. you know...the same way people still look forward to getting a letter in the mail.
Your Uncle Tom advises that you at least visit the Great Barrier Reef before you come home. To that I would add please don't eat any fish from a reef community because they could give you ciguatera fish poisoning, a lifetime illness. http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/29392319/ If you check out this website you'll see I'm not just being a worry wart.
Love you!

Amy said...

Dear Randy -
Thanks so much for the support and encouragement. I will def. be in touch soon. I am still figuring out the details of my plans and acquiring the funds is a big priority.
Have fun walking the earth and say hi to the land of "the ring" for me.
Amy
P.S. If they had a reputable opera program in New Zealand, based on your pictures, I would just go there instead :-)