Saturday, April 25, 2009

Anzac Day

I have the day off today. It's Anzac Day. I'm not really sure what that means for the country. Catherine said it's an equivalent to Veteran's Day in the States. It's a holiday which comes with holiday pay if one works. Holiday pay here is time and a half plus a day in lieu. Since it's not necessary that I work today, I'm given the day off, unpaid of course. It's a recession yo.

Eleven days straight averaging around 10-11h days. I elected to do not much of anything today. My body said so. Don't get me wrong, I'm not complaining. Just stating the facts. Gave me a chance to post these photos from the last couple of weeks. They're from the vineyards and from around here. I'd have pictures from the winery but I don't take my camera out. They've got a camera at work that they take pictures with so I'll have some at the end of harvest I think.

We pressed off our first red ferment 2days ago. It was barreled yesterday. I don't remember it going this fast last year but maybe it did. There's still fruit to come in and plenty to do so I've gotta get home and rest up.

Enjoy.

Not quite ready. Ferris I Vineyard on Cairnmuir Rd in Bannockburn

Bee damage

The aftermath of bees and wasps (yellow jackets)

The reason for bird nets. This one got into the nets and had to be liberated. Was told it's a native species so it can't be shot.

The aftermath of birds


Ready to be picked. I didn't catch the name of this vineyard. It's on Felton Rd and the location of the panoramic photo in the previous post






Pinot gris and pinot noir. They're not supposed to be right next to each other in a row but it happens. Planted by accident or possibly placed by nature....Pinot gris is a mutation of pinot noir



Pisa Range from Chad and Catherine's house. Second morning of work at the winery. It rained that day during processing too.

Random field off of Pearsons Rd near Bannockburn



Same


Lake Dunstan at about the 45th Parallel South marker


Poplars





Kawarau Gorge commute. The evening I wrote the last entry.


Rte 6. The Kawarau Gorge Rd in front of Jones' Fruit Stand


Motutapu Rd. Near Wanaka


Same


Intersection of Felton Rd and Bannockburn Rd


Gibbston Valley Wines Winery. We were racking the 2007 Reserve Chardonnay this day. Pete's filling barrels on the left.
Yes. This is the winery. It is outside. Cold mornings. Cold nights. Brilliant days

2 comments:

Dad said...

Hey Bear, I can see why Anzac Day is a national day there. Back in 1915, that many dead New Zealanders would be a big bite out of the population. BTW great photos. Did you get your shoes? All is well here.

April 25th marks the anniversary of the first major military action fought by Australian and New Zealand forces during the First World War. The acronym ANZAC stands for Australian and New Zealand Army Corps, whose soldiers were known as Anzacs. Anzac Day remains one of the most important national occasions of both Australia and New Zealand. This is a rare instance of two sovereign countries not only sharing the same remembrance day, but making reference to both countries in its name.


[edit]The Gallipoli campaign
When war broke out in 1914, Australia had been a Federal Commonwealth for only thirteen years. In 1915, Australian and New Zealand soldiers formed part of an Allied expedition that set out to capture the Gallipoli Peninsula, under a plan by Winston Churchill to open the way to the Black Sea for the Allied navies. The objective was to capture Istanbul, capital of the Ottoman Empire and an ally of Germany. The ANZAC force landed at Gallipoli on 25 April, meeting fierce resistance from the Turkish Army. What had been planned as a bold strike to knock Turkey out of the war quickly became a stale-mate, and the campaign dragged on for eight months. At the end of 1915, the Allied forces were evacuated after both sides had suffered heavy casualties and endured great hardships. Over 8,000 Australian and 2,700 New Zealand soldiers died. News of the landing at Gallipoli made a profound impact on Australians and New Zealanders at home and 25 April quickly became the day on which they remembered the sacrifice of those who had died in war.

Though the Gallipoli campaign failed in its military objectives, the Australian and New Zealand troops' actions during the campaign bequeathed an intangible but powerful legacy. The creation of what became known as an "Anzac legend" became an important part of the national identity in both countries. This shaped the ways their citizens viewed both their past and their future.

Brianne Day said...

In addition to what your Dad mentioned, Anzac cookies are pretty delicious. Hope you ate a bunch.